Monday, 22 April 2013

Cheesecloth Ghost

So I was on Pinterest one day and came across these...





 So after looking them up I realized they were in fact a Martha Stewart creation. Say what you want about Martha but she's done time...she's fairly bad ***. So I thought this would be a perfect addition to my upstairs window and may help me cover up the huge fish tank I have in my foyer. The instructions were fairly easy. Apply 4 layers of cheesecloth with fabric stiffener or watered down white school glue, let dry, and remove head.

I started my quest for materials on eBay. I got 20 yards of white cheese cloth ($24 CAD) and a Styrofoam mannequin head ($6 CAD). I bought a gallon of white school glue at home Hardware for $8, mainly because my Dad works there and I got his discount. It was normally $18. I got a latex paint brush, which cost my husband $7. Because he is nice and buys me stuff like that. Now because I had a brainwave halfway through getting my supplies I also bought fabric whitener from Wal mart. I thought it would look extra cool if I put my ghosts under black lighting. Finding the fixtures and bulbs is another story :S






 So I cut four 5' sections of the cloth. Draped the first layer over and brushed on the glue. It went on fairly easily and was very easy. Make sure to get the brush right into the detail though.





 I applied 4 layers in the same way. No need to dry in between layers. And I criss crossed applying the fabric so it had a pointed kind of appearance at the bottom.







 I tied a piece of yarn around the bottom to maintain of the detail from the chin and the sides of the head. Which turned out to be a mistake. As it dried the glue/water mixture soaked down the cloth and got about 5 inches wet below the chin line where I brushed it on. So now it has a funny line where the string was tied.





 I let it dry overnight. This morning I tried to remove the mannequin from the cloth....not gonna happen. The glue has completely adhered to the Styrofoam. The best solution I can come up for this is to possibly coat the head in Vaseline prior to applying the glue mixture. In the grand scheme of things I am willing to let the mannequin head go, and ordered 2 new ones off eBay to use for my window displays. I ordered male form heads this time as I think the features are more prominent and will be easier to see from the upstairs windows.







Now the next part of the process is to get a hold of some black lights. I have never used them before and after some research I have decided to buy fluorescent fixtures and the 4' bulbs. My dad is pricing out the fixtures as we speak and I am on the hunt for some tubes. I will post new pics after I obtain these materials and find out how my ghosts glow!

Thanks for reading!